An October Read A Thon – Read Like Hell-A-Thon!
Welcome to the second annual Read Like Hell-A-Thon! We’re so excited to have you join us. This read-a-thon is hosted by myself @books.beans.botany and @the.vegan.hobbit so make sure to give us a follow as well as the official Instagram for the read-a-thon – @readlikehellathon.
What is the Read Like Hell-A-Thon?
It’s a read-a-thon in October with a Halloween-Horror-esque theme. This is the second year and we’re still feeling out what works, but the first year was a blast!
Levels and prompts can be read in any order you wish. Think of them more as groups instead of stepping stones to the next level.
The only exception is the BONUS level in which you need to finish the other three levels as well to achieve.
Each character has more prompt choices than needed to give you options. Read all the prompts for extra points (the points don’t matter, except for bragging power).
“Basic Witch” Level
To achieve the “Basic Witch” level, read one book from each of the three characters’ prompt choices (three books total).
- A book set in New Orleans
- A book featuring necromancy
- A book with multiple POVs
- A book with rival witches
- A Book set in, or written by someone from, a Slavic country
- A book with a house on the cover
- A book that is a retelling/twisted tale
- A book with a morally ambiguous MC
- A book where the MC has a “destiny”
- A dark academia book
- A book with a magic school setting
- A book about living a double life
“Serial Slasher” Level
To achieve the “Serial Slasher” level, read one book from each of the three characters’ prompt choices (three books total).
- A book published in the 90s
- A book with an unreliable narrator
- A book with a mask on the cover
- A book with a phone on the cover
- A book set during October (even better – Halloween)
- A book with a child MC
- A resurrection theme
- Read a book that is part of a series
- A book set in the Midwest
- A book with dream, sleep, or nightmare in the title
- A book with fire playing a part
- A bestseller from the 80s
“Scary White Man” Level
To achieve the “Scary White Man” level, read two books from each of the three characters’ prompt choices (six books total).
- A book by Thomas Harris
- A book with a doctor as the MC
- A bestseller in the 90s
- A book with cannibalism
- A book that is part of a 4-book series, a tetralogy if you will
- A book inspired by a real-life story
- A satire or dark comedy novel
- A book about a serial killer
- A book set in NYC
- A book written by a female author
- A book that has had a movie adaptation
- A book that has a much lesser-known sequel (surprise, American Psycho has a movie sequel)
- A book by someone in the King family
- A book in a hotel/inn setting
- A book about possession
- A book with a haunted setting
- A book with a writer
- A domestic thriller novel
“Honorary Winchester” BONUS Level
To achieve the “Honorary Winchester” BONUS level and be named Hades: Ruler of the Hellathon, read a book for three prompts (three books total).
- A book with angels/or demons
- A book with a car on the cover
- A book with a song lyric in the title
- A book about brothers
- A book with a supernatural/monster/vampire/etc hunter
- A book with a supernatural theme
- A book with a prequel
- A book with a road trip
- A book with urban legends
Want to print the prompt list? Download this PDF!
Check back as we’ll be posting book suggestions for each prompt, social media graphics, and more!