An October Read A Thon – Read Like Hell-A-Thon!
Welcome to the third annual Read Like Hell-A-Thon! We’re so excited to have you join us. This read-a-thon is hosted by myself @books.beans.botany and @the.vegan.hobbit so make sure to give us a follow as well as the official Instagram for the read-a-thon – @readlikehellathon.
What is the Read Like Hell-A-Thon?
It’s a read-a-thon in October with a Halloween-Horror-esque theme. This is the third year!
Levels and prompts can be read in any order you wish. Think of them more as groups instead of stepping stones to the next level.
The only exception is the BONUS level in which you need to finish the other three levels as well to achieve.
Each character has more prompt choices than needed to give you options. Read all the prompts for extra points (the points don’t matter, except for bragging power).
“Basic Witch” Level
To achieve the “Basic Witch” level, read one book from each of the three characters’ prompt choices (three books total).
- A book about siblings
- A book/graphic novel with Marvel characters
- A book with an MC that is loyal to family
- A book with an MC that is highly emotional
Rose the Hat
- A book by a member of the King or Hill family (Stephen King, Tabitha King, Owen King, Joe Hill)
- A book with witches and/or vampires
- A book with a hat on the cover
- A book involving psychic powers
“Deathly Dolls” Level
To achieve the “Deathly Dolls” level, read one book from each of the three characters’ prompt choices (three books total).
- A book with a knife on the cover
- A book involving possession or voodoo
- A book with an MC that has red hair
- A book with a toy on the cover
- A book with a haunted object or house
- A book that is based on true events (fiction or non-fiction)
- A book based in the 1970s
- A book with a doll on the cover
- A book that involves games
- A book with wheels on the cover
- A book that’s part of a series (3+)
- A social horror book
“Mad Science” Level
To achieve the “Mad Science” level, read two books from each of the four characters’ prompt choices (eight books total).
- A book with a female scientist MC
- A sapphic book
- A book with DC comics characters
- A book with greenery on the cover
- A book with eco-activism themes
- A book involving scientific consequences
- A classic novel
- A sci-fi book by a female author
- A book with a misunderstood outcast(s)
- A book with a controversial character
- A book with a sheltered MC
- A romance set during Halloween or Christmas
- A book with a pumpkin (or jack-o-lantern) on the cover
- A sci-fi book by a BIPOC author
- A book with a feminist icon
- A book with an A.I. (artificial intelligence) MC
- A speculative fiction book
- A book published after 2010
- A book by a debut author
- A book with a very curious MC
“Dream/Morpheus” BONUS Level
To achieve the “Dream/Morpheus” BONUS level, read a book for two prompts (two books total).
- A book by Neil Gaiman
- A book about a dysfunctional family
- A book involving a time jump
- An anthology
- A book with a black and white cover
- A book involving gods
Want to print the prompt list? Download this PDF!
Check back as we’ll be posting book suggestions for each prompt, social media graphics, and more!